Week 23 | 2012

I never thought a PAW(photography a week) project would be so difficult. Lately, I’ll admit that my inspiration has been waning, almost like its on vacation and I’m not feeling that mojo any more. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but to use Robin Wong’s phrase during a “shutter therapy” session I came had some revelations.

Panasonic GF1, Street Photography

Revelations

• In order for me to shoot, my camera must be small and portable.
  • I don’t like being noticed on the streets especially in Downtown Miami where its no cake walk. Heard of the “Miami Cannibal” I photographed the victim almost a year ago while on the streets.
  • If my camera sits in the bag for 2 continuous weeks, then there is a problem.

In essence, I’ve now fully dabbled into the world of dslr’s and noticed that they’re not my thing, especially if I’m just walking and shooting and don’t like to be a photographer. I did have some great times with the Nikon D80/50mm 1.8 because its AF was super fast and I was actually playing the tourist card. Something I do once in a while with varying degrees of success but for everyday shooting I simply don’t take out the dslr out of the bag all that much. It is, what it is folks, a love affair with small compact cameras.

Panasonic GF1, Street Photography

Like love, sometimes its not clear to everyone why two people are in love and they maintain a relationship. Most of the time its a mystery and that’s part of the beauty of love and that’s the way I see it here in my world. Strolling along the streets documenting what I see and just letting the energy flow. With that said, I’m back in the micro four third world again and I couldn’t be happier(I’m actually smiling).

Panasonic GF1, Street Photography

If I’ve learned anything in these 39 years of life, its that, you gotta do what makes you happy and like my friend Wouter Brandsma says “Simplify”.

34 Comments

1. Reply
    Flickr: artbyivan June 9, 2012

Muy buen trabajo, magnifico juego ente luces y sombras..

Jorge Ledesma June 9, 2012

2. Reply
    Flickr: Roland Ramanan June 9, 2012

Nice pic L. I like my cropped dSLR, it’s all I know really but sometimes I really wish I had something much smaller and quieter.

Jorge Ledesma June 9, 2012

3. Reply
    Flickr: CVerwaal June 9, 2012

Very nice shot! I agree with the need to simplify… one of my favorite little cameras these days is the little Canon S100 – small enough to always have with me.

Jorge Ledesma June 9, 2012

4. Reply

I agree with the small camera – unless I am specifically sightseeing I just carry my little canon – takes great pics (although not long shots) and most people don’t seem to notice it. Motivation is an elusive thing. I like the edge of light along your subject in this shot.

how do you feel about the photo of the victim – it is so hard to even imagine how that occurred. Although there are a lot more stories coming out of similar effects with that drug.

Jorge Ledesma June 9, 2012

5. Reply
    Flickr: Geoff Mahood June 9, 2012

Lovely lighting in this shot Jorge. Best regards.

Jorge Ledesma June 9, 2012

Thanks Geoff, hope all is well.

6. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 9, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/toro66] Gracias, simplemente la vi y tenia que capturarla, la luz estaba muy buena a esa hora.

7. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 9, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandramanan] I can relate. I tried to really fall in love with the IQ of dslrs but in the end, I just couldn’t. Not saying they have their place in my photography but for now I said good bye to my D3100.

8. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 9, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/cverwaal] The S100 is great little cam. I had the S90 back when I started this digital journey and I can attest to its great portability. Simplification is the key I think.

9. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 9, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/smacss] I agree, thanks for the compliment. When I first saw him in the news I knew I recognized him from somewhere but I couldn’t pinpoint until later on. Its truly unbelievable, everyone down here is terrified of those Bath Salts that folks seem to ingest to get drugged. Very nuts, if you ask me, how someone can ingest bath salts to get a certain feeling but such is life, people do weird things sometimes. Yup, the stories are everywhere now.

10. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 9, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffmahood] Thanks Geoff, hope all is well.

11. Reply
    Flickr: Eclectic Market June 10, 2012

Hi Jorge, first of all thanks a lot for your last comment on my stream, very kind of you, it means a lot to me. Just working a lot to improve as a "photographer" so to say. I love this pic, great shadow-light play. The camera never does the job, it is the photographer of course.. for street photography a compact will do the trick much better than a dlsr.. probably.. if i could afford it i’d get a Leica M9…though…
    take care
    j

Jorge Ledesma June 10, 2012

12. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 10, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/eclectic_market] Its well deserved! Thanks for the chiming in here. Yes, they say the photographer is the one of course. In my experience, I also need the right gear for me personally and the m43 platform. Leica M9, if would be mirrorless then I would consider it but I know its not so there goes that dream lol.

13. Reply

seen in…monomania

Jorge Ledesma June 10, 2012

Thanks!

14. Reply
    Flickr: spiegellos June 10, 2012

Hey Jorge extremly well made

Jorge Ledesma June 10, 2012

Thanks I appreciate it.

15. Reply
    Flickr: macal1961 June 10, 2012

Nice use of the light.

seen in…monomania

Jorge Ledesma June 10, 2012

It was just perfect, the light, I couldn’t resist.

16. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 11, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/inesvm] [http://www.flickr.com/photos/28616805@N00] [http://www.flickr.com/photos/40306308@N04] Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

17. Reply
    Flickr: mad-filter June 11, 2012

Great !

Jorge Ledesma June 27, 2012

Thanks man!

18. Reply
    Flickr: Meljoe San Diego June 17, 2012

Great light!

Jorge Ledesma June 17, 2012

Thanks so much!

19. Reply
    Flickr: Barry Yanowitz June 22, 2012

It’s great that there are lots of choices now between large sensor / small body cameras. love this shot, your tones, the texture, the figure…

Jorge Ledesma June 22, 2012

20. Reply
    Flickr: (Ledesma) June 22, 2012

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomvu] Thank you Barry for the compliments. The choices are plentiful as you well know. We’re living in great times I tell ya!

21. Reply

The light is wonderful…woman and her gait are great!!!

Jorge Ledesma June 27, 2012

Indeed, thanks. She looks like a power lady.